Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Film Reviews

Just letting you folks know that I may have a big personal announcement to break on here in a few weeks. Pretty big stuff. I don't usually do this kind of thing on the blog, but I may be able to get a good post out of it, so I'm going forward with it.

Film Reviews

Body of War - This documentary was about Iraq war veteran Thomas Young. It was really well done and highly recommended, although I was surprised at how highly Sen. Robert Byrd (WV) seems to be regarded by the filmmakers. Former Klan member Robert Byrd. Just sayin'.

***1/2 out of *****

Requiem for a Dream - I'll be cycling through the three films made by Darren Aronofsky and several films starring Mickey Rourke in preparation for "The Wrestler" due out in December (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wrestler_(2008_film)). I've already seen Pi, but will screen it again, and hopefully I'll be able to catch The Fountain as well, despite its mixed reputation. Simply put this film wasn't perfect, but was excellent in every regard. Aronofsky is really creative with his use of editing and the performances were stellar. Out of every film I've seen so far this year, this is the one I'd recommend to people the most.

****3/4 out of *****

No comments:

Post a Comment