Sunday, December 12, 2010

Top 10 of 2010: Ted Leo–The Brutalist Bricks

#6

View larger image

This is the first “Bricks” song that I heard–back in 2008 on my honeymoon in NYC.

My admiration of Ted Leo is well documented and The Brutalist Bricks was more than enough for me to keep believing in the supreme talent of Ted Leo and the musicians he surrounds himself with. Aside from the excellent “Bottle in Cork” and its accompanying video this album didn’t seem to get much attention and that’s a damn shame.

This album is the perfect distillation of everything that makes Ted Leo great. Influences ranging from Curtis Mayfield to The Jam mingle comfortably. Ted’s lyrics continue to be concise and speak not just to the world we live in but his struggle to find a place in it. I was lucky to see him play several times this year and am thrilled that I’ll get to see him play a solo show this February (interestingly enough I first saw him play as a solo performer).

These six top records were hard to sequence. On any given day any one of these could be named my favorite record of this year. To put it another way: for me – The Brutalist Bricks is as good as it gets.

No comments:

Post a Comment